Piston Cooling

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Sat Jun 13 20:50:04 GMT 1998

>I wish to know your opinion about pistons refrigeration by oil on high boost
>engine.

A system such as this can be very effective.  I ran a twin turbo vehicle
for several years (before it crashed) using a homemade piston cooling
system run off a spare pump chamber off the dry-sump system.  What we did
was drill the front of the oil pan to fit two small steel tubes, which were
pushed through and welded into place, so the tubes went the length of the
pan, and terminated on the back side (bell housing side).  Then, four small
holes were drilled into the rods.  I believe the rods were 3/8 diameter,
and the holes were 1/8" or so.  Its been a few years.  Anyway, the last
stage of the oil pump sucked the oil out of the pan and pumped it directly
through a "Y" fitting, then into these welded tubes.  The holes were
drilled, facing the opposite side of the engine, into the bores.  We tested
this before the engine was assembled to make sure the angles were right,
and would clear the crank/rods most of the time, spray wise.

It worked very well, and appeared to significantly cool the pistons,
because the electronic timing control didn't adjust the timing that much
under boost, nor did the knock sensor go nuts.  We still had detonation
problems, just at a much higher boost, which probably was related to the
level of boost for the fuel we were using (about 100 octane).

Head gaskets were more of a problem than anything.  But the system did in
fact work.  Just make sure you aren't spraying your crank with the oil - it
has to reach the piston domes.

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Homebrew Automotive Website: