pistons refrigeration

Gary Derian gderian at cyberdrive.net
Mon Jun 15 11:38:03 GMT 1998

Slava,
    I think you are asking about oil cooling of pistons.  In english, when
we say refrigeration, we mean a mechanical cooling device using a working
fluid and a compressor to pump heat.  For simple heat exchange between cool
and warm objects, we use the term cooling.

    Anyway, to answer your question, oil cooling of the piston by squirting
engine oil at the underside is used mostly to prevent overheating and loss
of strength of the piston.  There may be some added resistance to detonation
but this effect is small.
Gary Derian <gderian at cybergate.net>