Bench racing ecms

Gregory A. Parmer gparmer at acesag.auburn.edu
Wed Jun 17 02:33:13 GMT 1998

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Scot Sealander wrote:
> I usually use a 12 VDC wall-wart.  You know, those things you plug
> in the wall...  As long as you don't power up much, they work great.

Works with a bagphone too if'n ya gots the free weekend plan!

> I have been preaching this for a while.  TPS is not in the fuel equation,
> at least not directly.

Amen. Sorry if I've been asleep in the choir.

> > I'm wondering if it'll be OK to just fool the ECM into thinking
> > it's always right...ie, lots of stoich crossings via a wave gen
> > of some sort.
>
> No way.  It is a closed loop controller.  It sets a condition, and
> expects a result, at the right time.  You can't just send it stuff.

I had a sneakin' suspicion that'd be the case. Ya listenin', doc? I
see a big cloud headin' for this parade. At least any on any
closed loop stuff--which is most of it.

Another bit that most probably know already is that a shopvac
doesn't come close to the necessary vacuum for a MAP system.
It might flow a small MAF, but MAP is hopeless. According
to the scanner I managed to get it down to 85kPa (aka 4v).
(i hope the kPa is accurate...i was a bit frustrated).
Shopvac was a 5.5hp version with a new cleanstream filter.
Save your duct tape and go for the mityvac if you just hafta
try fakin' it.

It's back to the pot method.

-greg      BTW--do they have a CSH big enuf for an idiot who
           could overheat a pot while soldering on leads?
           I guessing not on that one too.