Bench racing ecms

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed Jun 17 03:26:20 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Scot Sealander <Sealand at clarityconnect.com>
Subject: Re: Bench racing ecms

>Gregory A. Parmer wrote:

<snip>

>> Problem I'm having is getting the intended feedback. Surprisingly
>> enough to me, PW seems more closely tied to MAP than TPS.
>
>I have been preaching this for a while.  TPS is not in the fuel equation,
at least not directly.

Oh, TPS accleration is not in the fuel "equation".  What equation
do you speak of here?.  Since the content search part of the archives
is down, would you share dates of these preachings..

>> On a real engine opening the TPS would reduce MAP and thus
>> increase PW. On the bench MAP doesn't change (just because
>> of TPS) and blipping the TPS generates only an increased
>> PW during the blip..similar to an accel pump. Go figger!
>
>That's what TPS is mostly used for, transients.

Last paragraph it didn't, hmm.

  It also has
>some purpose for other things, like TCC lock-up.
>

>> I'm wondering if it'll be OK to just fool the ECM into thinking
>> it's always right...ie, lots of stoich crossings via a wave gen
>> of some sort.
>
>No way.  It is a closed loop controller.  It sets a condition, and
>expects a result, at the right time.  You can't just send it stuff.

What kind of time intervals?. How much change at what rate?. Do
you have any valuable info here?.  Do you assume a steady state
condition to make these statements?  What if the ecm is not seeing
a steady state.  Or is this "No way", just a silly half statement.

>> > Your idea of an engine simulator, at whatever level, is right smack
>> > in the stateOdeArt of electronics. Is that SCARY, or what?
>
>This is from a previous post, but it is a long way from state of the art.

True, but it is a tool to learn from, and find things out.  It is a way to
draw the truth out, and share some secrets.  Unlike those that seat
around snipping at others.  It's called participation.  Do you have any
details to share to help with things?.  Do you have any feedback ideas?.
You say you've run ecms, care to share any of the results!!..

>I remember that someone from Linc, (the flight simulator company) was
>writing one on his own time about four years ago.  He left Linc as I
>recall.  Not sure what happened to him, or his simulator.
>
>Scot Sealander   Sealand at clarityconnect.com

Cheers
Bruce