Diagnosing GM efi..

Christopher Bruno bruno at ICD.Teradyne.COM
Wed Jun 17 17:32:23 GMT 1998

Hey all,
	Finally got the efi setup going in
my truck. At first, started up nicely
and idled nicely and drove OK.  Using the
scanner, the BLM was up to 158, so I'm
thinking I have a huge vacuum leak (however
they are only 18lb injectors on a stock
350 - fuel pressure bumped up to ~52psi)
Then it wouldn't start easily (started,
reved up and then stalled).  After some
long drawn out testing, I concluded the
IAC controller is OK, I cleaned the valve
itself and when started up in diag. mode,
the IAC motor does 'spit out' the actual
valve (drives it out). ESC is OK and TPS
seems OK.  So then I unplug the MAF and
it starts good and idles well (with no MAF)
but it runs like crap when I put it in
drive and try to drive it (except under
WOT).  Now, it still has the PROM for a
305 but I figured it ought to run better
than it does with the stock chip and a
vacuum leak.  It hesitates and coughs and
spits when there is any load on the motor.
If in park/neutral it revs up nicely (though
possibly a little poor on the throttle
response).  The interesting thing is that
with the MAF unplugged, the scanner (Diacom)
indicates that MAF reading is going up (???)
as the motor is revved.

I have also read that the TPI's actually run
quite well with the MAF unplugged (TPI engine
swapping, by JTR).  Now, not only does this
seem to not really apply to me, but how could
this even work well?

Comments?  TIA
--
Christopher Bruno