Horsepower losses

Clare Snyder snyder at huron.net
Fri Jun 19 16:26:26 GMT 1998

Duane Reed wrote:

> don't get on your high hourse yet (as i rember) toyota is notorius for there
> transmitions eating lots more horse power
>     data point toyota rated there 92 pick up with the v-6 at 180 hp but many
> magizines tested rear wheel at only 120?
> there supra tranis is running a simular percerentage some thing like 35
> percent of horse power just disapears  <<poof>>
>
> Duane Reed
>
> >Here's a data point: the Pontiac Fiero V6 was factory rated at 140 HP.
> >Someone I know rear wheel dyno tested his car at about 120 (pitiful)
> >HP.  This is a transverse mid-engine RWD setup using a FWD type
> >gearbox.  The 140 HP sounds about right for an American port fuel
> >injected pushrod 2.8L iron lump.
> >
> >--
> >Ludis Langens                               ludis (at) cruzers (dot) com
> >Mac, Fiero, & engine controller goodies:  http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/
That has not been my experience. If there was that much horsepower going
into heat the trannies would be overheating and failing regularly. In 10
years as a service manager I can count on the fingers of one hand the
transmission failures I had to deal with. It is more likely to be an
optimistic horsepower figure from the manufacturer or a poor dyno setup.
I've seen dyno operatord who copuldn't get 150 rear wheel horsepower out
of a Chevelle SS396.
--
                               _/\_
                    Reply to Clare at snyder.on.ca
                                OR
Remove the R from clsnyder in my E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the
spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys!!!