new member, first question XR4Ti

Matt Smith msmith at tvi.com
Sat Jun 20 01:03:59 GMT 1998

AL8001 at aol.com wrote:

> If the ECM's match the only real problem is removing the prom with out damage.
> Has anyone ever used a prom reader such as a Needhams PB-10 hooked up the a IC
> clip and read the prom while it's in the ECM?  From what I can figure, Ford
> builds the ECM with a blank prom then hooks up to the card edge on the board
> to burn the info.
>
> Wonder if this card edge could be used to any advantage? GM also has a unused
> card edge as well.

Are talking about the card edge connector that is accessible from the outside of
the EEC-IV box?  If so, that connector accesses the system bus directly.  This
card edge connector is used by the 'High Performance' chip companies.  They
connect the new PROM with a littler steering logic that causes the EEC-IV to use
the new chip and ignore the original PROM (which is left in-tact).

I assume the same can be done the GM systems, although I am not very familiar with
them YET.

-Matt Smith
msmith at tvi.com