747 Timing Connector and misc questions

Clare Snyder snyder at huron.net
Sun Jun 21 02:53:54 GMT 1998

Jason Weir wrote:

> Bruce Plecan wrote:
>
> > No, no, no
> > The ESC is for retarding the timing due to knock.   It sends a signal
> > to the ecm when knock is detected.  The ecm then retards the timing.
> > the ESC is the thin black box about 2"x2".  All it does is listen to
> > the knock sensor.  When it hears the right noise it tells the ecm hey
> > we got knock.  Trouble with this system is that certain sounds sound
> > like knock, and can falsely trigger it.
> >
> > With the timing connector disconnected (tan/blk wire) the ecm has
> > no control over the timing.  The only timing is what is inherit with
> > the actual design of the electronics.
>
> inherit in what electronics, ECM, ESC?

The timing advance is built into the ignition module located in the
distributor ( 7 or 8 pin HEI module for ESC equipped vehicles only). The
ECU  takes command when the bypass is addressed, and the esc tells the
ecu to retard for knock. When the module is in command, there is no
knock delay.

--
                               _/\_
                    Reply to Clare at snyder.on.ca
                                OR
Remove the R from clsnyder in my E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the
spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys!!!