Fixing cut harness

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sun Jun 21 15:23:06 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Shannen Durphey <shannen at mcn.net>
Subject: Re: Fixing cut harness

>> I'm helping a friend install an efi harness that was cut by the yard that
>> took it out. I was just wondering what is the best way to reconnect it?
Just
>> solder away and put heat srink tubing on it?
>>
>> I've found braded wire to get brittle when soldered. Is there a way
around this?

>> Thanks.
>> Matt Beaubien
>
>There's such a thing as a butt connector with shrink tube
>ends. Crimp the connector, melt the ends with a lighter, and
>you have some nice, tight repairs.  Not just a shortcut,
>either.  Recommended by GM and supplied in their wiring
>repair kits.  Although, maybe not so good for braided wire.
>Shannen

The vibration is only a problem if left unsupported.  I have never had
a soldered wired fracture, and that's in 30 years give or take.
With heat shrink don't over heat it.  Holding it inna flame is too hot.
Use a heat gun, or some distance from the flame.  Use a touch
of vaseline, or dielectric compound, inside the heat shrink, just a touch to
keep water from accumulating.  Cable tie up+downstream
of the splice to a other wires, or frame.  Bundled looms with cable ties
dampen vibration very well. Don't leave wires blowing in the wind.
Stagger the splices so if there is a chaff thru it ain't to another circuit,
rather blow a fuse then energize something at the wrong time,
specially NOS.
HTH
Bruce     Many of the CSH staffers remember cotton coverings, and
               rubber insulation.  And the warm orange glow from the
               radio at night.