question about ceramic coatings

Kurek, Larry LKurek at ocfexch2.ocf.anl.gov
Thu Jun 25 18:45:16 GMT 1998

For all concerned....we had an E-mail server conversion, so my "formal"
name has changed. However, just send to Lkurek at anl.gov and it'll make it
no matter what the server name is...

Now, to the question...

Yes, it is a good idea to coat the inside of the pipes...probably more
so than the outside. Reason being, the heat contained in the exhaust
goes as far as the coating, and is then retained. If you only coat the
outside...it will look pretty, and reduce your underhood temps, but the
pipe will burn out quickly. To coat the inside, you can use one of two
methods....I personally use a hybrid. You can flow coat them (pour a
couple of ounces in and swish it around), or pull a swab through. What I
do is flow coat them first, as this will ensure coverage, and then pull
a lightly compressed swab through to remove any excess. Works for me.
Oh, BTW, best if done on NEW pipes, since you have to ensure they are
clean to coat them. I usually etch the new pipes with HCl or H2SO4, then
coat them. With old pipes, you need to remove all traces of carbon as
well...

TTYL!

Larry