GM SmartCoils redux ALSO now 808A

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Thu Jun 25 22:59:57 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Peterson, Lew [Cont] <lew.peterson at canada.cdev.com>
Subject: RE: GM SmartCoils redux
The 808A part is for using gm ecms in either DIS Dizzy mode, which
has been done by listers prior to this, but is applicable to the 808
universal ecm program.

>Bruce:
>Are you suggesting that we could use a GM, ECM-controlled, HEI to trigger
>the individual SmartCoils if we add a signal conditioner/5v driver to the
>pickup output and a 5v distribution system? If so, I would like to get some
>feedback on the conditioner/driver/5v-distribution circuit description.
>Perhaps we could design an extra-slot wheel to run on top of the existing
>distributor pickup.

Just for grims will say your truck is a syclone. GM V-6 Dizzy with a
1227749 ecm, which it sounds like.   The 749 doesn't care if it
gets it signal from a DIS module or Dizzy, it's the same four wires.
Just you have to invert the one signal (think it's the ref), but others
on the list have done this.
  So what you next need is a set of signals for the ignition module
ie like crank + cam.  Or cylinder+cam, which yes can be all in the
dizzy.  Just add a one slot trigger, ie like the cam sensor onna
Buick Turbo regal (85-87).
  The buick uses all Hall Effect Sensors so depending on what you use,
you'll need a similiar signal.
  One of the four cyl. (Ithink it was) used a dual Hall sensor Dizzy for
the exact same thing.
  OK now you have the oem ecm. the dis sensors, and signal
conversion.
  Next is just using the four leads (one power, and 3 coil triggers)
to trigger your smart coils, from the DIS module.
   Boils down to some slick Dizzy machine work.  Clever research
will provide you with GM oem type sensors,  using some DIS
module (later better, might think of one off a late Supercharged
Pontiac [v-6]).  Then wire accordingly.
  This is just my 02, it would seem doable, but time consuming.
I kinda put some time into this since I wanted to run a Buick
Turbo off a 749.

NOW, IF SOMEONE WAS REALLY CLEVER, they would figure
out how to use the DIS for switching a single DCI from coil to coil.
Imagine Ion, CDI, DIS, talk about the perfect ignition.  Oh ya and
done DIY, is this a great list or what..........
Cheers
Bruce     Smoke alarms for food timers are an art form here at
               CSH, HQ......

Calgary