Felpro EFI review

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Fri Jun 26 12:06:45 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Barrett Flowers <vette at disknet.com>
Subject: Re: Felpro EFI review

>Thanks for the review! That was one of the things I was wondering about,
>which aftermarket system to get for my Vette, and I think you have
>convinced me. I was looking at the Accell system.
>All info is greatly appreciated!

While not able to match it for individual cylinder timing, and injector
timing, you'll be able to do a great deal with the oem gm ecms, by hanging
out here for a while.
Before spending the BIG BUCKS,  I'd hang out for a while and see
if some of what is in the works with the programming events here
ain't too cool.  Always remember when you read an ad that it will
always sound good.  Nothing against Felpro or any of the other
aftermarket stuff, but remember $50 or $2500 is your decision.
For $2450, I can buy alot of proms, and other stuff.  If it's some
thing you need today go for it.  But, if you want to actually learn
engine management, and what the stuff inside the black box
is doing ya might just hang loose for a while.  I don't mean being
an EE, but all the little strategies, with table design, switchs/settings
for the MPU.
  BTW, Think it was Cartech found 3-7 HP by running rockers with
an extra .05 lift in the outboard cylinders in a SBC (#1,2,7,8),
Cost, custom machining the rockers, (rollers at that),
  With a TPI, again, IMHO, you'd have to have a serious flaw to
need individual injector timing.  The Winston cup camp have also
found a reported 5-7 on the outboard 5/7 cylinder timing, at 700
HP.  So your call, ya got the money for the dyno time to tune to find
5 HP on your engine, and if ya do a rebuild ya get to do it over.
    I'm not going to mention what might be coming up here, cause
till they are run it just pie in the sky, but ain't nothing I've seen in the
aftermarket yet, that can't be done with oem, and we'll just leave it
at that.
  Being new here, I'd suggest you start at reading the last couple
months of archives, and about tune-up programming 101+808,
and see what ya think.
Cheers
Bruce