CPI Swap Question..from TBI

Kurek, Larry LKurek at ocfexch2.ocf.anl.gov
Fri Jun 26 16:47:00 GMT 1998

OK Guys...I'm in need of a little help on this one. I have done quite a
few carb to MPFI/TPI conversions, but most of them have included a
factory harness which I was able to hack and splice into the factory one
(no patent problems with this...is there? ;) ).

In any case, what I am doing is swapping a CPI manifold and system onto
an 87 Astro with TBI. For those of you that don't know, the CPI system
is a multi port (actually, one injector with multiple nozzles) system
that GM designed for use on 4.3 V6 engines. I think it came out in 1992,
and is still in use (aka Vortech engines). So, my question is this...

Short of finding a factory Astro harness for use with this manifold,
what do I need to do to make the TBI harness work with the CPI. I assume
I'll have to repin the ECM connectors, and possibly get new connectors
for the sensors/controls on the CPI. Does anyone know how adaptable this
is? Also, can I use the same ECM, with perhaps a different Mem-Cal?

FWIW, I am buying this manifold as a take-off from Howell EFI, and they
*do* offer a factory harness modification service...for around $550.
Being the frugal type, I'd rather do this myself.

PS...does anyone have a copy of a 1992 wiring diagram/pinouts for the
CPI motor? I know it came in S10 trucks, Blazers, and Astro vans....

TIA!

Larry Kurek