Death on sudden opening of throttle

Tony Bryant Tony.Bryant at psc.fp.co.nz
Mon Jun 29 05:20:21 GMT 1998

I've finally rebuilt my intake system (welded up from steel exhaust
tubing), but I've got the following problem:

When the throttle is mashed at lowish RPMs i.e. <2000RPM
the engine dies for about 1/2 - 1 second, before getting its
act together and then pulling strongly.

Sounds like not enough throttle enrichment you say... Not so,
I've tried enough enrichment to sink a battle ship, and no
noticeable difference (just get lots of black smoke). I've tried
from no enrichment, way upto pegging the injectors at 16ms per
injector per cycle (100% VE requires only about 7ms)

My setup has a second set of injectors mounted on the runners,
if I switch to use these a the primaries the problem gets much
worse. This indicates to me its something like fuel dropping out
of suspension.

Changing the injection timing (Sequential system) does help a little,
but not much.

FYI: I've got a reasonably small cam in it : 255deg @ .006", 40 deg
overlap.

FYI: I sample the revs & MAP sensors 16 times a second, so its not an
ECU response problem.

Q. Whats happening here? Theories anyone?

Q. Do other people here have this problem? Whats the solution?

Cheers.