Twin injector system?

Daniel Ciobota dciobota at hiwaay.net
Mon Jun 29 05:40:41 GMT 1998

One of the tricks I see quite often in fast efi based drag cars is a
hybrid injection setup using port injection for the lower low boost rpms
and a supplemental throttle body type injection setup for the high
boost/nitrous stages.  The system uses the conventional efi electronics
(some used custom dfi systems, but they work about the same) to fire the
port injectors, just like in a factory setup.  At boost/nitrous or
higher rpm's, those cars have a thick plate mounted usually at the top
of the lower intake manifold, which has holes drilled for additional
injectors (usually two or four).  These injectors work off a secondary
control system that varies the pulse duration on a curve tailored
according to rpm/boost.  The setup is much simpler on this second
"throttle body type" system (no idle, or part throttle curves even), but
it seems to work pretty well even on 8 second cars.  To make a
completely driveable system, you'd probably have to work on the control
system a bit.

Daniel