Death on sudden opening of throttle

Walter Petermann corsaro at brokersys.com
Mon Jun 29 11:13:33 GMT 1998

Barrett Flowers wrote:

> > When the throttle is mashed at lowish RPMs i.e. <2000RPM
> > the engine dies for about 1/2 - 1 second, before getting its
> > act together and then pulling strongly.
> > Q. Whats happening here? Theories anyone?
>
> Possibilites:
> Ignition timing
> Low port velocity due to runners being too large
> Valves too large/small
> Spark plug gap
> design problems
>
> > Q. Do other people here have this problem? Whats the solution?
>
> advancing the cam 4 degrees may help.

I had almost the same problem when I replaced the timing belt
on an old over head cam Fiat. I was 1 tooth off (don't remember
which way though..).
Have you tried less gas on acceleration?
Do you have a Map or Maf sensor?
A Map sensor will over-react if placed too close to the
throttle plate ( corrections..opinions welcome ).

 regards,
  Walter