Larry Widmer's "Soft head" swirl technology

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Mon Jun 29 16:55:21 GMT 1998

-> the first engines to use a narrow valve included angle  to induce
-> swirl about a horizontal axis parrallel to the crankshaft. Because of

 Normally (at least on this side of the pond) "swirl" refers to motion
parallel to the cylinder axis; "tumble" refers to motion parallel to the
crankshaft axis.

 Narrow-included-angle four valve heads are usually very good at tumble
and poor at swirl unless something is done with the valve timing or
shape of one of the intake ports.  Some engines use valves or deflectors
of various sorts in one port to induce swirl.

==dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us======================================
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?