Twin injector system?

Barrett Flowers vette at disknet.com
Mon Jun 29 17:50:01 GMT 1998

> Yes, this is exactly the issue with high HP engines at idle in regards to the
> injectors (that and the timing, runners, etc are usually way off, geared for
> higher RPMs).  This is the approach I will be finalizing on my Buick V6.

Let me know how this works out, sounds interesting and very simular.

> Good choice in unit... I believe that one goes up to the 15psi range, if my
> memory is working this morning.  A lot of the smaller Paxtons weese at the
> higher RPMs and still blow about 7-8 PSI.  I've always prefered superchargers
> for low-end torque (as they are already spinning), and turbos for higher RPM
> use.  Of course different products, combinations, and application yield
> different results.

Nope, the Sn-89 is an 8psi syem :( I wish it was larger...

> Variable length runners is an interesting idea, and probably not that
> difficult to achieve - but then you will have a complex valving system that
> can leak, resulting in less performance.

With the idea I have in mind, leakage would not be a problem at all. :)
It's so simple, there is nothing to leak...

> The "ultimate" solution, one that I and a friend applied for a patent on
> (expensive process, but worth it), is to vary the timing relationship of the
> Cam/Crank across the RPM band.  By adjusting the cam for low-RPM the engine
> grunts off the line with reasonable, near-stump pulling power.  At higher
> RPMs, the cam is rotated slightly out of phase with the crank, thus making it
> breath extremely well at higher RPMs as well.  Thus, the power band of a
> particular engine widens, creating better performance throughout.

This sounds like a great idea, and one that is needed, if it works, I'll
be glad to try it out.

> Patent attorneys, even if they are "best friends", are not cheap :)
>
> Now, back to the dual injector system.  I believe you are right in your
> thinking, and have been testing such a thing.  My current system runs 40lb
> injectors in squential mode, and the second pair of injectors (also 40lb) in
> batch mode.  The haltech system I have/used can't manage dual injectors
> individually for each cylinder, so I cheated by firing the second ones of the
> pairs as batch.  A six Mosfets and six diodes to protect against injector coil
> kickback and that's it.
>
> Ideally, I'd like to have two 40lb injectors for 93/94 octane, and one
> injector for an isopropyl/distilled water mix.  Boost this :)

I have the alcohol water injection systemand it works great fro keeping
detonation at bay and does add some performance too, but itis not
necessary to use injectors for it. Mine is set up with a "fogger" type
nozzle and varies from low to high psi with the change in boost. At 3+
psi, a 3 gmp nozzle delivers the mix into into the incoming air stream
just ahead of the throttle plate, and kicks the pump inot high at approx
100 psi.
I would rather use the second set of injectors for straight alcohol or
gas, but 2 40# injecotrs? How much horsepower are you running? <s>

--

     -Barrett
vette at disknet.com
     1989 Carroll/S.C.A.R. Performance Corvette
     Paxton S/C, Borla, FX-3/z51/HD Springs, Exorbitant engine mods.
     PBM Racing heads, PBM custom cam, valves, springs, retainers, etc.
     1984 S.C.A.R. Performance Corvette- Mod Engine, leather, TCI 700-R4
     ICQ contact # 6317092   Owner: SCAR PERFORMANCE
     WebPage: http://members.tripod.com/~Barrett_VETTE/index.html
     Don't Forget To WAVE! I am.....
     Southern Indiana, near Louisville, KY
     Member: Ohio Valley Vette Assoc. New Albany, IN