Nitromethane

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Mon Jun 29 22:27:11 GMT 1998

>Are you sure that nitro requires a higher CR? I've heard the exact opposite.

I can't say this on pure authority or knowledge, as I do not have this.
However, I do co-own a "resting" nitro-funny car, which runs a 13:1
compression on Nitromethane.  It sits because the partnership has
absolutely no funds for this hobby any longer.  That's another story.
However, the Donovan Block was run with a 13:1 compression.  I classified
this as "high" in my book.

>I've heard people use the same argument with water injection (ie. before vs
>after turbo). What about all of the draw-through carburated turbo engines
>that had gasoline pass through the turbo? It can't be much different than

I would agree with you Matt, if the gasoline flows through the turbo, then
spattering alky or water through the turbo would have similar benefits and
consequences, as they are all liquids with similar specific gravity (more
or less - its not thick like motor oil).  Anyway, you might be absolutely
right, however I passed off the idea, simply out of fear - I'd hate to
destroy two working turbos because I didn't know something.

I often engineer things illogically out of fear or lack of knowledge.
Sometimes to my benefit, sometimes not.

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Homebrew Automotive Website: