holley TBI, 7730, and Howell

Jason Weir jweir at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 30 03:07:11 GMT 1998

andy quaas wrote:

> I am curious.  Does anybody know anything about the Howell
> (www.howell-efi.com) TBI conversions?  I talked to them and they said
> that they use the 7747 and the 7730 ECMs with the Holley 4-bbl
> throttle body.  They do not modify the ECM at all except for the PROM.
>
>  I am interested in buying their setup, so i bought a 7730 from a junk
>
> yard and I have all the GM sensors and a holley throttle body.  Any
> advice or comments about howell or using the 7730 with the holley TBI
> (and injectors)?  The 4 injectors are the 85 lb/hr capacity.  Thanks!

Andy,
    I bought a howell system about 5 months ago, I bought the 747 with
the GM 2bbl TBI it was a very complete kit but as hindsight is 20/20 if
I was to do it again I would build the kit myself out of a junkyard
instead of paying howell $1000 for their kit, but now I know....My kit
is for my Jeep 4.2 and it is based on the Chevy 4.3 so the prom
shouldn't be that much different from stock,  the only thing that I
didn't like about howell was that their system doesn't control timing it
keeps the vehicles stock ignition system with a filter to tell the
computer RPM, I modified my kit so it now controls timing, and now I am
in the process of learning enough to modify my prom to change the timing
curve from that of the 4.3 V6 to the 4.2 I6 they are totally different,
so my jeep lacks in power, hope that answers your questions if you have
any more let me know, Jason Weir
--
Jason Weir - 88 YJ - 258 / Howell TBI  145K and counting
Fayetteville, North Carolina
mailto:jweir at worldnet.att.net