EFI-ing my V-8 Datsun Z......

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Tue Jun 30 11:53:12 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Ruschman <prusch at ix.netcom.com>
Subject: EFI-ing my V-8 Datsun Z......

> I have a 75' Datsun Z that is powered by nicely warmed over 355 Chev. I
have been driving this car for a little over a year now and I am getting the
EFI itch.
>My question is I have access to a Holley projection system and was
wandering the groups opinions, thoughts or alternatives?

Before ya do anything read the Project 101 at projects off the bottom
of DIY home page.

If this is the early analog, it had some short comings.  Kinda hard to
beat the resources of GM for design, so the GM Pickup ecm looks good.  I've
been running one for years with a old cross fire, and it
does mid 13's, with the big swaybars, muffler, cheap radials on.
Course it's been tinkered with alot.  The reason (one of several)
was the poor fuel control with carbs when braking turning cornering
so yes even the lowly X-Fire is better than a carb.     I started with
a TBI, since they are a little easier, and much cheaper.  Now, I have
gathered the parts for a TPI and will be building on the new info I've
learned.

> This is a daily driver/autocrosser with a stick shift. Throttle response
is a concern, sluggishness or hesitation won't be tolerated.
> Is there any reason why I would want multi port over TBI in a stand alone
EFI system?

Multiport has larger proms, so more tinkering can be done, software
wize.  For racing, on a budget, even a little more work the TBI will
be within a couple % of the TBI.  IMHO the only real difference is the
dry manifold, but it's still in use, so it can't be all too bad.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul (BRAAP) Ruschman

Cheers
Bruce