Digital Distributorless ignition q's

Michael Farrugia mikefarr at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 3 13:23:30 GMT 1998

>If you want to go the light route fine, but it's been done before, and
>now all the commercial units I know of use magnets for triggering.
>As I recall the optic units had a problem with reflected light from
>random sources even when it was PWM/Infrared.  Also Oil
Contamination/dirt,
>can be cruel.  The only optic ign. stuff I've seen
>used lately is inside the distributor.
>  There are several units using the magnets that you could buy the
>wheel, and sensor from (ie MSD).
>  Cadillac used/uses a DIS for some of it's V-8s.
>HTH  Bruce  From the DOJ, FBI reports, not one Columbian Drug
>                      lord has been busted wearing a Cone Shaped Hat...
>                      Or has the term Cone Shaped Hat been mentioned
>                      in a Federal Search Warrant...

I have done a Dist less Ign with optical sensors on the camshaft on a
four cylinder Pinto engine.  Actually I removed the distributtor's
make'n'break and put in a disk with 32 holes.  One hole is missing and
placed on a smaller radius for TDC of no. 1 piston. I put another sensor
for TDC because I want to minimise complications - I know many people do
it otherways just with one sensor and then jugling with electronics  - I
think I'm not that smart.  With this setup I do not have a wasted spark
since I know exacly which cylinder is firing.
The system works very fine and I do not have any complaints.  Since the
disk is inside the former distributtor housing the LED's and sensors
remain clean.  However some people are suggesting to me to put the
sensors on the crank to remove any backlash that might exist in the
gears driving the distributtor.  My idea is to leave a TDC sensor on the
camshaft so as to not have a wasted spark and put a sensor on the crank.
I would prefare light but I am afraid of the dirt since I could not do a
very good housing.
The best thing about light sensors is that they can be adjusted when
static while other sensors, like magnetic ones, only give output when
there is movement.
Any ideas.  Is it that advatageous to put it on the crank.  For me it
was relatively easy to put it in the distributtor housing must be really
worth the hussle to put it on the crank.
thanks everyone
michael