Header Purchases

Squash mpc at genevaonline.com
Tue Mar 3 13:37:56 GMT 1998

Shannen Durphey wrote:
> For anyone who's considering a set of headers for Chevy V8, here's what
> worked for me.  The newest pickups have stainless steel exhaust gaskets
> between the manifolds and the heads.  They're available in both small and
> big block versions, and they're the only thing which last on school busses
> and medium duty trucks.  At the collectors, I use doughnuts.  1990 Chevy
> pickup (350) type worked great in my smallblock Hookers, they're flat on one
> side and have a steel sleevewhich fits snug in the header.  I used a pair of
> ceramic doughnuts with both ends tapered for the headers on my pickup.
> After that, all I had to do was weld a bead inside the collector and turn a
> taper into it in a lathe.  There are also flat gaskets available which have
> a steel ring in the center and will fit some smaller collectors .  These are
> used on some school busses and C-60 trucks.  Then too you can remove the
> flat triangular plates from some types of headers, weld the collector to the
> header, and use a stainless steel band clamp to connect the collector to the
> exhaust pipe.  Just a few solutions I've used.
>
> Shannen

I really think that the ball and socket type of joint is better than any
exhaust doughnut type setup.  You don't have to align the pipe to the
header exactly.  And there is no seal to blow out.  No scraping to get
the old gasket off.  And its eaasier to install onto an existing system.
--
Andy Quaas