J1962

Dana J. Baum danabaum at crl.com
Tue Mar 3 15:25:56 GMT 1998

At 04:28 PM 3/2/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Anybody able to shed lite on SAE-J1962 connector pin outs ?
>What are the pin outs ?
>
>I have a vehicle in with J1962 16pin diagnostic connector (its a 1996
>European GM vehicle).
>It has pins 3 thro to 7, 12 and 16 connected, the DTC's correspond to
>OBDII numbers.
>I wonder if the vehicle is OBDII or a derivative of this.
>
>I understand that having J1962  pin 7 and no pin 2 or pin 10 implies
>ISO-9141-2 and that no pin 7 but a pin2 implies SAE J1850.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Martin

Here is the pin out list for the OBD-II connector.

Pin No.	Description
1	OEM
2	Bus + Line, SAE J1850
3	OEM
4	Ground, Chassis
5	Ground, Signal
6	OEM
7	K Line, ISO 9141
8	OEM
9	OEM
10	Bus - Line, Sae J1850
11	OEM
12	OEM
13	OEM
14	OEM
15	L Line, ISO 9141
16	Positive, Vehicle Battery

All OEM lines are for factory proprietary specifications.

If a car is ISO 9141 compliant the OBD-II dignostic connector has a pin at
#7 and no pin at # 2 or #10. If it has a pin #7 and has pin #2 and or #10
then it may be ISO compliant. If no pin #7 is present the car is SAE
compliant.

All international Ford and GM products are ISO 9141, so far.

We've tested and confirmed ISO 9141 communications on the following 1996
and later models.

European: Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Volkswagen, Volvo, Saab
Domestic US: Catera, Chrysler Cars & Trucks, Geo, Eagle Summit, Ford
Aspire, Escort & Tracer
Asian: Acura, Honda, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jeep, Kia, Mazda, Mitsubishi,
Nissan, Subaru, Suzuki
and 1997 and later Lexus, Toyota and Izuzu.

1996 Lexus, Toyota and Izuzu ussed the SAE 1850 VPW protocol.

Being in the US we don't have many Vauxhauls or Opels handy for testing. <G>

Dana
  Dana J. Baum  |   BAUM TOOLS UNLTD-WEST     |
   Technical    |    1-800-848-6657 Nat'l     |  Special Tools
    Support    / 1-415-566-9229 Tech Services  \      for
       &       \     1-941-927-1612 Fax        /German and Swedish
  Publications |     1-415-566-0694 TechFax   |    Automobiles
               | http://www.crl.com/~danabaum |
               | E-mail: danabaum at crl.com     |