VSSS

Clare Snyder snyder at snyder.on.ca
Wed Mar 4 03:48:21 GMT 1998

Peter Fenske wrote:

> Well you could always put 4 magnets on a driveshaft and
> use a magnetic pu..
>
> The JTR setup is good and you can get either the four or two pole
>
> FYI taxicabs use a similiar rig. So wreck I mean recyling yards
>
> later:peter
>
> > I recall reading that Mopar had something like this in their early EFI cars
> > from the factory...  Could try to dig up that book if ya like...  KV.

> >   Kevin Vannorsdel     IBM Arm Electronics Development
> >     408-256-6492                Tie 276-6492     kv at us.ibm.com
> >

> > owner-diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu on 03/03/98 10:04:51 AM
> > Please respond to diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu @ internet
> > To: DIY_EFI at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu @ internet
> > cc:
> > Subject: VSS
> >

> > Hello,
> >  I was curious what some people have done
> > to add VSS output to older cars that didn't have
> > them initially.  JTR sells a VSS 'box' that attaches
> > inline with the speedo cable and will output the
> > standard 2000 pulse per mile required for the 85-89
> > GM computers, but it is $70. I would like to keep
> > my stock speedometer if possible, if for nothing else,
> > just so that my dashboard matches.  What are other
> > people's expereience in this area?
> >
> > --
> > Christopher Bruno
> > Teradyne
> > 321 Harrison Ave. MS/H53
> > Boston, MA 02118
> > 617.422.2040 Office
> > 617.368.7062 Fax
> > bruno at icd.teradyne.com

Speed sensor units from some add-on cruise controls can be used - On
some GM units the speed sensor was up at the dash, between the bottom
cable and the top cable. A pickup coil and 3 or 4 magnets on the
driveshaft can also be used - very simple device, or even a (possibly
modified) rear break antilock sensor (the driveshaft mounted single
channel type) The tranny mounted VSS was used on some models of Caddy
and Buick from 80 to 88 with "digital" fuel injection
--
                               _/\_
                    Reply to Clare at snyder.on.ca
                                OR
Remove the R from clsnyder in my E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the
spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys!!!