Crank Trigger Signal (was monitoring RPM)

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Wed Mar 4 15:00:14 GMT 1998

>The way I did it I put 32 teeth on the camshaft and check how many teeth
>are counted in a spesified time.  But maybe you have a better solution.

That will give you 16 pulses per revolution, since the Cam rotates at 1/2
the speed of the crank, thus 22.5 degrees of rotational positioning
accuracy, which I'd bet is more than enough.

>In my opinion also the teeth are not just for speed but also for
>position.

I thought I said that - maybe I wasn't clear.  My apologies.

>For me also the optical solution is the best, but I cannot afford
>lasers.

Sure you can... Radio Shack (of all places) has a laser diode (IR actually)
for $4 and the mating reciever transistor os $3.  $7 plus a homemade
housing (plastic thing with a hole) and you have a tooth finder :)

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Homebrew Automotive Website:
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/