Crank Trigger Signal (was monitoring RPM)

Dave J. Andruczyk dave at scarlet.buffalostate.edu
Wed Mar 4 15:18:57 GMT 1998

> The way I did it I put 32 teeth on the camshaft and check how many teeth
> are counted in a spesified time.  But maybe you have a better solution.

Whats wrong with putting a hall sensor really close to hte flywheel teeth,
as there is prolly close to 100 or more teeth on that and the sharp edges
may be enough to trigger the sensor, another pickup could be used to
detect TDC, so you can have both rpm, and position, with a decent amount
of resolution.   Renault had a similar system for their ignition, as it
used a crank trigger sensor that read larger "teeth" (they look like
square blocks right behind the flywheel teeth) and missing teeth at tdc.

With the hall sensor, you don't have to worry about optics which will get
screwed up quickly due to the harsh engine environment, (oil mist, etc..)

dave