VSS and freq converter circuit

xxalexx at ix.netcom.com xxalexx at ix.netcom.com
Sat Mar 7 08:45:07 GMT 1998

> Date:          Wed, 04 Mar 1998 23:09:57 -0500
> From:          Andris Skulte <askulte at emerald.tufts.edu>
> Subject:       Re: VSS and freq converter circuit
> To:            diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu

> > You could try 8 pin PIC micro,  5 volt regulator with capacitor,
> > resistor on input pin, the VSS buffer should accept 5 volt logic.
> > total part cost with rad shack board should be under $5.00.
> > with 2 wires to rs232 port you could calibrate speedo.
> > alex
>
> Is this the same thing as the $35 PBASIC PS1-IC stamp my advisor was
> telling me about? It seems ideal to me... What is the $5 chip you
> mentioned, and how do I go about buying it, programming it, etc... I'm
> just another ME trying some electrical stuff! :)
>
> Andris

The stamp uses a Microchip Inc. PIC microcontroller on a minature
surface mount board made by Parallax Inc. www.parallaxinc.com ?
It uses BASIC instructions and designed for people with absolutly
no knowledge about anything(including electronics) Excellent
introduction to microcontrol projects.  Like anything once you
feel the power you want more, so I quickly threw my stamp on
my surplus heap and invested about $100  in a parallax PIC
programmer and another in a CCS C compiler.  Thus gives you
the ability to use all various  PIC chips many have  8ch A/D
2  PWM, three timers and interrupts.  The 8 pin chip $1.98 has built
in everthing  just connect to 2-6 volts.  These are available at your
Active Store in Woburn.  Get the ones with windows on them
for development so you can errase.
You might try taking a ME instrument control lab ahead of your
regular schedule, or other intro. electronic lab Physics or EE.
They probably all using that big Horowitz Hill ? text book
Alex