Ne and Xe lights

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Mon Mar 9 19:38:06 GMT 1998

Charles wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Mar 1998 05:00:03 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >> Kind of off list but, anybody have an easy test for a neon bulb? (timing
> >> light)
> >
> >Are you sure its neon, and not xenon?  A neon bulb has just 2 leads.  A
> >xenen tube has the leads at each end, and a band around the middle with
> >the trigger lead.  A xenon tube requires a trigger pulse to make it fire.
>
>         Everyone who replied like this is correct.
> But there are old neon lights too... I have a genuine neon light that
> belonged to my dad. Just two leads, in series with the #1 plug. I
> remember watching him in the 1960's set the timing on the family '62
> Chevy - it was so dim that you had to wait until dusk.
>
> -Charles
> using a modern Xenon light!

  An old mechanic gave me one of these when I needed a timing light a few years
ago.  It was really heavy duty, with a metal, chrome plated case.  When I
hooked it up to my HEI system I got one hell of a shock.  Tried again with
electrical tape on the handle, but I must have been sweating pretty badly
because it blasted me again.  I still have the light and I'm waiting for just
the right person to give it to.

Shannen

When the chips are down, the buffalo's empty.