Distributorless CFI???

Fredric Fitzgearld Fredric_Fitzgearld at ccm.ra.intel.com
Tue Mar 10 01:37:29 GMT 1998

All,

First, let me say that I'm amazed at the accumulative knowledge of this
list.  It is am honor to be on this list, at all.   :)

Now, forgive me if this seems like a stupid question but I haven't found
answers in the archives.

I understand that the computer on a '85 Merc 302 (CFI) communicates with
the distributor, in some way.  Is there a way to fool the computer into
thinking that the distributor is there so I can use my stock electronic
ignition?

Ideally, I would like to use my performer intake, stock '70ish ignition,
and '85 CFI on my '66 289.  Is it possible to use just the fuel stuff
and fool the other inputs into thinking everything is fine?  I'm even
willing to make manual adjustments on the fly, with tuning pots, if it's
possible.  IMO, it's better then a carb, by a far cry.

Any other help, or comments, are welcome.

Thanks for the tolerance,

FEF