pining,twin plugging,etc...

Carl Summers InTech at writeme.com
Tue Mar 10 03:29:41 GMT 1998

Bruce Plecan wrote:

> Which brings up an interesting point, when improving
> ignition systems, sometimes you wind up running less
> timing.  Which means there is a better flame/reaction
> or it's burning faster initially?.  But, would that be a
> indication of a better VE?.  According to some the ideal
> plug gap would be .1", which would min the delay of the
> flame getting to be a large enough kernel to burn quickly
> though out the combustion chamber.
>  Bruce   Safety alert:  don't try and dry your foil lined
>               Cone Shaped Hats in a microwave. (specially
>               if there are traces of gasoline on it).

Hi Bruce,
    The flame front created by a large gap is always better for comlete
burn.....But as alway there is a trade off.....increased gap under full
cylinder pressure is always hard on the cap,rotor,and
wires.....increasing the amount of voltage/amperage that the spark plug
requires to "jump" the gap......this is what requires the differences in
timing on high pressure situations(not street stuff)..........try
putting a spark plug to a 2000lb pressure with a non stoich environment
and see the spark jump out of the wire 4-5 inches instead of the .030"
gap(if you have enough amps),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but thats me......I'm
sick..LOL
-Carl Summers