Microwaves and metallic objects...

Matthew B. Watts mwatts at facility.cs.utah.edu
Tue Mar 10 06:36:14 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Plecan <nacelp at bright.net>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Monday, March 09, 1998 8:08 PM
Subject: Re: pining,twin plugging,etc...

>Which brings up an interesting point, when improving
>ignition systems, sometimes you wind up running less
>timing.  Which means there is a better flame/reaction
>or it's burning faster initially?.  But, would that be a
>indication of a better VE?.  According to some the ideal
>plug gap would be .1", which would min the delay of the
>flame getting to be a large enough kernel to burn quickly
>though out the combustion chamber.
> Bruce   Safety alert:  don't try and dry your foil lined
>              Cone Shaped Hats in a microwave. (specially
>              if there are traces of gasoline on it).

Speaking of microwave, I heard that one of the BIG companies
was working on a way to use it as the ignition system.  The
goal was to have nearly complete combustion with almost zero
timing advance.  I wouldn't be the first one to try in my garage,
but has anyone heard something similar to this?

I would think that detonation would be a big problem if the
mixture explodes instead of burns at some optimal expansion
rate.  Maybe it was only to kick-in at high RPM or only at
low throttle settings for cruise and what not.  You know,
one of those hybrid systems that's supposed to make the
world a better place.  Think it has any merit?

Matt   Can't wear my Cone Shaped Hat anymore,
          Doc said it would increase my chances of
          brain fade.