Aftermarket EFI systems question

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Tue Mar 10 14:09:45 GMT 1998

> Hello,
>
> I am been reading this group for quite a while.  I am about to
> install a efi system (to replace the not easily adjustable stock
> system).   I know there is a Accel/DFI, and I have heard that
> FelPro has a bit more expensive system that is better and
> supposely be fitted with the wide range O2 sensors.   Does anyone
> know anything about this system?   Also does anyone know any

The closed loop wot feature of the FelPro is its biggest advantange and
it pretty important because it basically does that all important tuning
into lean best torque point easily. With all the others you need a method
of measuring a/f so you have feedback info so that you can enter new
best guesses into the 3Dfuel map. As you have noticed from all the
discussions in this group, a truely inexpensive a/f meter is not
available yet. The Bailey at about $1K is a choice. Tuning with std O2
sensor gives you direction but NO hard info on whether a/f is eg: 12.3 or
13.4 a/f. The FelPro has the widerange meter built in for not a whole lot
more money tha a widerange a/f meter. Haaving that feedback a/f #'s is
priceless and allows quick honing into lean best torque. Engines will run
OK over a very wide range of a/f:eg: 10-14 a/f but the difference in
response between a fat a/f and a proper tuning in at lean best torque
is like adding a cylinder or so.
Hope above helps.

Regards,

Frank Parker