pining,twin plugging,etc...

jb24 at chrysler.com jb24 at chrysler.com
Tue Mar 10 21:24:29 GMT 1998

Perfect Combustion shape has to adress swirl, squish and turbulence.
Best shape nowadays is pentroof (just look at F1).
---------------------- Forwarded by John R Bucknell/JTE/Chrysler on
03/10/98 03:02 PM ---------------------------

        owner-diy_efi @ efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
        03/10/98 01:40 PM
Please respond to diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu @ SMTP
To: diy_efi @ efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu @ SMTP
cc:
Subject: RE: pining,twin plugging,etc...

>> Is there such a thing as a perfect combustion chamber shape?  Maybe
for a
>> perfectly consistent fuel?

Isn't it the case that the perfect shape for combustion is a sphere with
the combstion occuring in the center?  So you have a hemi in the head
and a hemi in the piston, the burn starts in the middle and works out
towards the sides... but for good induction of mixture, and good
expulsion of exhaust the best shape would be a raised piston crown that
fitted exactly into the hemi of the head, ensuring that no exhaust
remained in the cylinder to contaminate the incoming fuel air mixture.

There for we need a piston that changes shape dependent on the stroke
that it's on... and a head with no valves so that they don't come into
contact with the raised piston crown on exhaust and induction cycles.
Something like the Rotary engine.

I was talking to my mate who has been working on engines for about 30
years now, he told me about
an 8 piston desiel engine with 4 cylinder bores and two crankshafts.
The two pistons opposed each other and on the compression stroke would
move towards each other causing a masive compression which would ignite
the desiel and force the two apart.  It worked very well but was
unreliable due to the fact that it had so many rotating parts...

Rob Humphris