pining,twin plugging,etc...

Matthew B. Watts mwatts at facility.cs.utah.edu
Wed Mar 11 12:45:29 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Plecan <nacelp at bright.net>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Tuesday, March 10, 1998 9:05 PM
Subject: Re: pining,twin plugging,etc...

>Surface gap plugs:
>  Were no more resistant to fouling, and next to
>impossible to read.  Without a center cone verifying
>timing by plug reading impossible.  Were supposed
>to be less prone to preignition, but only by a couple
>degrees.  Never saw any real benefits.
>Bruce

The only place I ever saw these plugs used was in a Merc
Marine outboard engine with their Thunderbolt Ignition system.
They were very reliable since having to pull the cowling off in
rough water to change a plug would be a real pain.  I would bet
that the designers accepted some sacrifice in performance to
have less complaints from the customer support department.
Being a two-stroke motor, I'm sure overcoming plug fouling
was their objective.  If I'm not mistaken, they used a multi-
spark type ignition on this engine to ensure that combustion
takes place even if it's late.

Matt   I hear that Cone Shaped Hats aid in your recovery
          when you fall through the ice.