pining,twin plugging,etc...

Matthew B. Watts mwatts at facility.cs.utah.edu
Wed Mar 11 12:45:41 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Humphris <r.humphris at indigo-avs.com>
To: 'diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu' <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Tuesday, March 10, 1998 11:35 AM
Subject: RE: pining,twin plugging,etc...

---------------SNIP-------------------

> I was talking to my mate who has been working on engines
> for about 30 years now, he told me about an 8 piston desiel
> engine with 4 cylinder bores and two crankshafts.
>The two pistons opposed each other and on the compression
> stroke would move towards each other causing a masive
> compression which would ignite the desiel and force the two
> apart.  It worked very well but was unreliable due to the fact
> that it had so many rotating parts...
>
>Rob Humphris

They use these quite regularly in the Navy for their auxiliary
generators.  They are big monsters though.  And of course,
those sailors spend plenty of time to make sure they always
work when they need them.  Actually a pretty ingenious idea.

I'm still working out the details to making a two-stroke engine
based on this principle--something small, like 200cc.  I bet it
would be a screamer with a gear drive between the two cranks.
The big plus is that it would be nicely balanced and could turn
some serious RPMs with the right parts behind the pistons.

Matt