pining,twin plugging,etc...

Gary Derian gderian at cybergate.net
Wed Mar 11 14:17:59 GMT 1998

A bigger bore is more sensitive to detonation.  Thats why really big engines
are always diesel.  The bigger the bore, the more leakage past the rings.
Also engines are smaller and lighter when they have a smaller bore and
longer stroke for a given displacement.  The European BMW M3 engine (which
by the way is 1/2 of the McLaren F1 V-12) is undersquare and delivers 321 hp
from 3.2 liters.

In theory, undersquare allows higher revs, bigger valves and more power per
liter which is good only for racing classes regulated by engine
displacement.  Everywhere else power per weight, specific fuel consumption,
and cost are the main constraints.  Near square engines have a better
balance.

Gary Derian <gderian at cybergate.net>