pining,twin plugging,etc...

Gary Derian gderian at cybergate.net
Wed Mar 11 14:23:42 GMT 1998

You can push on clay and store energy as low temperature heat which is not
useful.  This happens because of hysteresis.  Walls also have high
hysteresis and dont really push back.  A metal spring does push back.
Pushing always causes some movement of the thing being pushed.

Gary Derian <gderian at cybergate.net>

>> When you push on a wall with 200lb's of force it
>>
>> Actually the wall does move, and that is how it stores the energy.
>> Push on anything and it will move.
>>
>Ok, I'll probably get flamed for this, but there are circumstances where
>pushing can't cause movement.

.>But how can you measure the energy "stored" in the wall?  Some of you ME
types