pining,twin plugging,etc...

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Wed Mar 11 15:14:13 GMT 1998

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Matthew B. Watts wrote:

> > I was talking to my mate who has been working on engines
> > for about 30 years now, he told me about an 8 piston desiel
> > engine with 4 cylinder bores and two crankshafts.
> >The two pistons opposed each other and on the compression
> > stroke would move towards each other causing a masive
> > compression which would ignite the desiel and force the two
> > apart.  It worked very well but was unreliable due to the fact
> > that it had so many rotating parts...

Junkers had a series of Diesels of this type for aircraft in the 30s and
40s. At one time the possibility of high octane gas seemed pretty remote,
so there was a lot of development done on aero-diesel engines. The junkers
was hardly unreliable. In the end, they were able to get 1 HP for 2 lbs
engine weight, not enough to compete with the 1 lb/ HP of gas engines with
100/130 fuel.

Jim Davies