The 5-Wire Mystery

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Wed Mar 11 15:17:44 GMT 1998

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998 02:08:57 -0500, Scott Knight <sknight at mich.com>
wrote:

>I had no idea that my seemingly useless post was going to get me this
>kind of information...maybe I will start posting more useless
>information <G>.

Cast your bread upon the waters; there may be ducks nearby. Heh.

>Well, I can assure you that the O2 sensor that is the exact one they
>sent me for my optional $600.  Maybe they are buying them from Honda
><VBG>.

Don't feel cheated. Knowledge is power, and power is money; well, sorta.
Anyway, the circuitry inside the box is a SECRET, so you HAVE to pay
much more. It's only fair. I believe that's how we acquired Manhattan,
isn't it? Ya know, from the NA Indians, in a "beads-for-land" exchange.

>In the PF system, everything plugs directly into the ECU with an
>FP-supplied harness.  It is very simple with nothing outside of the box
>than wires and sensors.  So whatever they are doing that is special WRT
>this O2, they are doing within the confines of the ECU

This is important info, in that it likely means no really magic analog
stuff is being done to precondition the sensor signals, which suggests
nothing terribly low level nor extremely sensitive to digital noise. All
good info.

Garfield