pining,twin plugging,etc...

Max maxboost at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 11 15:42:37 GMT 1998

> A bigger bore is more sensitive to detonation.  Thats why really big
engines
> are always diesel.  The bigger the bore, the more leakage past the rings.
> Also engines are smaller and lighter when they have a smaller bore and
> longer stroke for a given displacement.  The European BMW M3 engine
(which
> by the way is 1/2 of the McLaren F1 V-12) is undersquare and delivers 321
hp
> from 3.2 liters.
>
> In theory, undersquare allows higher revs, bigger valves

How can you put bigger valves into a circle that is a small diameter?  The
larger the bore the larger the maximum valve sizes are, think about it.
Intake valve area is limited to roughly 34% of the bore size on a 4 valve
race engine.  A smaller bore would limit the size of the valve.  FWIW, F1
engines are around 100 mm bore for a 3 litre engine with 8 cylinders and it
is estimated that the3 litre V10's are running around 92-94 mm bores.  This
means that they are highly oversquare engines.  The only advantage for a
small bore on a street car is the smaller crevice volume which lowers HC
emissions.  This is also why the piston to wall clearance has gotten much
tighter lately and why the top ring is moving up the piston.  Some engines
are down to .002" piston to wall clearance stock on a 86mm bore.

and more power per