pining,twin plugging,etc...

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Thu Mar 12 05:45:33 GMT 1998

Sandy wrote:

> At 09:16 AM 3/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >A bigger bore is more sensitive to detonation.  Thats why really big engines
> >are always diesel.
>
> I'm not sure this is always the case from my own experiences, I have had a
> ton of Big Block Chevys, Some small blocks, etc. The ones that were most
> prone to detonation were the ones that had the smaller cubes. This may just
> relate to a couple of things, but mostly the engine is not working as hard
> and thus no detonation. I had a couple of 12:1 427's and about the same
> compression in a 454 which just has a longer stroke, and the 427's were
> more prone to detonation from my rememberance. The small blocks were way
> worse in all cases. I would guess the combustion chamber style has a bit to
> do with that too.
>
> Just some comments... I may have 1 cent left of the 2 cents which would let
> me purchase another cone shaped hat...
>
>   /\
>  /  \
>  Sandy

  305 ci in stock form is more prone to pinging than 350.  Same stroke, smaller
bore.  Methinks it's because it has to work harder.

I  am thinking that when choosing pistons for a street engine and using available
heads, it is probably better to pick the pistons which create the highest
compression ratio without a dome, use a fast burn type chamber, and if slightly
more compression is needed then the block/head surface can be milled.
Based on what I've read here, anything which cuts or reduces the flame front is
bad news.

What about materials?  Aluminum heads are supposed to reduce the tendency for
detonation, right?  Is this because Aluminum transfers heat faster than iron?

A little known offshoot of the Star Wars program were automatically deploying
stealth cone shaped hats.  Used white noise to confuse alien brain scanners...

Shannen