Wide Ratio O2 meter

steve ravet steve at sun4c409.imes.com
Thu Mar 12 20:09:27 GMT 1998

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 08:25:26 -0800, ptimmerm at mashtun.JPL.NASA.GOV wrote:
>
> >What I don't understand is the part about an "ion pump" that
> >runs electrically.  We must agian be talking about a solid
> >oxygen conducting oxide.  Are you saying you can run one
> >of these high temp solid oxide concentration cells backwards,
> >i.e. pump electricicty into it and move a fixed and controllable
> >number of xygen ions?  Kinda like a thermocouple versus a peltier
> >device I guess, eh matey?
>
> Eh, Paul, you caught me outta me depth. I know it sounds "mysterious",
> but that's the gist of what I understand. Remember, I only deal with
> electrons once their freed from their slavemasters, them nasty
> despicable (read that with the requisite Daffy Duck slur) chemical
> atoms. Methinks we both need to read that SAE article FrankP mentioned
> previously. Usually when the electrochem guys talk 'down' to the mech &
> elec types, they couch things in terms we can understand. Course, if
> you're a physics type, hey no problemo I s'pose.

A post from a long time ago claimed that the ion pump is a second sensor
mounted next the the first.  The work both ways, not only does a
difference in oxygen partial pressure create a voltage, imposing a
voltage pumps oxygen from one side to the other.

So they're basically two EGO sensors back to back, the second one is
driven to maintain the first at some fixed voltage, the current required
indicates the amount of oxygen.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet