Porting

Robert Humphris r.humphris at indigo-avs.com
Fri Mar 13 09:04:16 GMT 1998

>I would think that with a good port and polish job, you'd be able to
>reduce the tendency for detonation by thoroughly polishing your chambers,
>leaving fewer edges and ridges for combustion byproducts to collect on
>and heat up.  Comments?

I do not know, but I am about to find out.  To turbocharge the engine
that I am working on I have had the whole combustion chamber shape
milled out, so that all I have are four circular pockets in the head,
not squish or turbulence makers at all.  This means that there are no
hot edges and I am concerned about the complete opposite to detonation,
I am concerned about lack of fuel burn and loss of power that way.

As for heat, we should all of us, be using ceramic coatings on our
pistons and heads by now...

Rob Humphris