Phase Seperation

Robert Harris bob at bobthecomputerguy.com
Sun Mar 15 18:06:45 GMT 1998

Dave Vizard in one of his early books talks about blending 5% MEK or Acetone
to reduce phase separation when using alcohol in blend with gasoline. They
also seemed to lessen corrosion and contributed to the octane of the blend
as well.  They apparently have a low boiling point and a high heat of
vaporization.

This leads to the next question.  Is there a reasonably informative
reference book written for people who can actually understand some chemistry
and numbers that deals with the fuel properties of a wide range of
hydrocarbons and possibly nitrogen based stuff like nitromethane,
nitropropane, etc.??  The SAE site lists several fuels reference manuals but
at a buck a crack, I'm not overly enthused unless someone can give a rave
review.

Would like to blend my own boost fluid for an engine - something like model
airplane fuel and acetone to reduce corrosion or whatever??  Need a good
reference and chemistry model to really get crazy though.

On DIY_EFI - is there any mail list newsgroup working on DIY Electronic
Ignition?  Not overjoyed at the prospect of running Linux as an operating
system and 332 as a system. Looking for something simpler and less
comprehensive but able to do what I want.

Think engine management should be a simple central processor talking to
several physical modules that can be updated and enhanced without redoing
everything. But what the heck do I know - too many lumps to wear a cone -
but the side hammer idea is intriguing.