PC's and EFI

Clive Apps Techno-Logicals 416 510 0020 clive at problem.tantech.com
Wed Mar 18 14:53:36 GMT 1998

> >That's an interesting diatribe - true, as far as I can tell.  I, too, am
> >experienced with PCs.  I'm writing this on a Cyrix 200 MMX with 64M of
> >
> >The point that may have been missed is that you don't need even a 486 to
> >run a fuel injection system.  I have a 386/25 board in my basement that I
>
> Careful here.  I'm a pretty good programmer myself and I actually tried to
> write a fuel injection (plus ignition control) on a 100 MHz Pentium laptop in
> straight assembly code and still found by way of the O-scope that I wasn't
> servicing multiple events quick enough.  It's much tougher than it would
> first appear.  It can still be done but one needs to throw a little more
> hardware at the problem to really get it working correctly.  The big problem
> is that the CPU executes but a single instruction at a time and there is
> quite a bit of things having to do with the engine all happening simultaneously.

It might be possible to interface through a SCSI port
or even UW SCSI ( or even IDE)
a large amount of data can be moved across a connection like this in a short
period of time
with the SCSI port the I/O is mostly taken care of by the SCSI processor unit
this will help unload the CPU as well
getting the info in and out faster allows more time to process and return
an appropriate response

Clive