knock?

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Wed Mar 18 15:08:55 GMT 1998

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998 00:19:50 EST, JCs DOOR <JCsDOOR at aol.com> wrote:

>I  Just wanted to let people know how it works in the real world.
>Not start a thing about diodes.So ill try to say it better.

Glad you replied. Sounds from what's below I may likely be all wet about
the 80v having something to do with diodes. If that's the way it's
built, maybe the 80v was just picked as highest value to bias that
doesn't represent a bad shock potential for an unsuspecting mech. I
dunno. Nuf speculatin, time for investigatin. Gotta get me them SAE
docs.

> one of the poles of the secondary windings of the ing. coils
>is conected  in the usual manner to the spark plugs. The other pole is not
>connected directly to ground but to 80v. as a result,80 v is always present
>across the spark plug electrods except at the very moment a spark is
>produced. when combustion takes place the gases are ionized and
>start to conduct current. this means that a current passes across the spark
>plug gap,with out creating a spark.
>saab has used this direct ignition from 1990 on. it is also used as cam
>sensor. on start up #1&4 are fired at same time to get eng. fired then timed normaly.

This stuff sounds very trick; I gotta look into this more, instead of
shooting me mouth off with conjectures about how it "might" be done. B)

>it has been 38 years out of school so forgive me if i missed on diode rateing

And I've been jazzed recently about them diode joiners, so you know the
expression "when all you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a
nail". Maybe "we don't need no stinking diodes" would be a better cliche
to pick under the circumstances, eh?

Garfield