SSI 67F687

Sandy sganz at wgn.net
Mon Mar 23 02:16:41 GMT 1998

Wayne

The story from the horses mouth (A SSI Automotive engineer) was that OMC
(Evinrude, Johnson Outboards) was looking at it, and that nothing was
happenning with them. No other large manufacturer was doing much with it. He
kinda said that it was something to 'tout' the ability of SSI to do advanced
digital with smart analog all on a chip. They also had ignition drivers,
somthing similar to the LM1949, a current limit chip that had 4 drivers or
something like that. For more information, the place that I called into was
the
SSI office in California, can't remember if it was Tustin, area code 714 in
anycase. The guy I spoke to was very helpful in anycase. The part would have
been very good, just too bad that no one decided to use it (besides hacks like
us!). I had a couple of the chips, but sent them out to some folks that had
purchased the eval board and wanted a couple of spares. If you find some
interesting info, let me know, I would say that I could whip up a system for
that in about a week, very simple, and with the HC11, i'm sure that you could
get it up with loads of low cost devel tools. I did find some of the code, and
it looks like what I was doing was removing the assembler specifics for the
compiler (I think archmemides) to make it work with AS11 which is free!.

Again, if you are going to spend much time dealing with the 687, I would say,
best to put your efforts into a 6833X chip and have something that is not yet
extinct. I could always use some help ;-)

Sandy