Water Injection (Was: Re: Wide Ratio O2)

David Piper dapiper at one.net
Tue Mar 24 16:44:26 GMT 1998

Naturally, you should design the nozzle for fine atomization and sufficient
pressure for choked flow.  Keep absolute pressure upstream at least 2X
downstream.  In addition to damage due to physical impingment on the
impeller leading edges, the liquid cavitates with millions of tiny toroidal
shapped droplets colapsing on the compressor blade while vaporizing during
exposure to the large velocity gradient present at the inducer.  The
toroidal shape focuses the tensor to a very small area which increases the
pressure to extreme levels and eventually removes metal from stress fatique.
The effect is gradual and slight but cummulative; more noticable near center
axis of blade on its leading edges.  Never lost a compressor blade.  May
actually improve efficiency similar to extrude honing?  Never have seen any
machine design that makes use of this fascinating physical phenomenon of the
toroidal shapes capability of concentrating force.

TurboDave