Accel enrichment

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Wed Mar 25 05:05:30 GMT 1998

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998 07:54:49 -0600 Joe Boucher <BoucherJC at lmtas.lmco.com>
writes:
>Before we spin off the original request by trying to out thermo each
>other (obviously I've forgotten too much to win) and look at what was
>asked.
>
>Tony Bryant wrote:
>
>> Why is accel enirchment (== throttle pump) needed?

Well... after considerable thought, it's quite simple!  <:)

When you suddenly open the throttle, a lot of air suddenly rushes into
the manifold.  You need to inject enough fuel for that air.  How much
will depend on the vacuum before and after, and the volume of the
manifold.

For instance, let's assume that the internal volume of the manifold is
100 Cubic inches and is at 15 inches of vacuum (1/2 atmosphere).  You
open the throttle and the pressure rises to one atmosphere.  That means
that 50 cubic inches of air at atmospheric pressure just rushed in.
Inject the appropriate amount of fuel for the desired mixture.

Ray Drouillard, BSEE
(who should have stuck with electronics)